Thursday, October 28, 2010

I breastfeed because I am selfish.

  • I breastfeed because I like being the one my infant relies on for food, love and comfort.
  • I breastfeed because I love the feeling of relaxation that overcomes me when my baby nurses.
  • I breastfeed because  it's nice to sit down with my baby and not think about anything else.
  • I breastfeed because I want to keep my children healthy for as long as possible.
  • I breastfeed because the nappies presolids smell much better.
  • I breastfeed because I don't want to deal with infant constipation, gastroenteritis or ear infections.
  • I breastfeed because I love when my child traces my face with his finger, or stares right into my eyes.
  • I breastfeed because I don't want to get up at night to make bottles.
  • I breastfeed because I don't want to be tied to a routine.
  • I breastfeed because I like having a sure fire way to put my child to sleep.
  • I breastfeed because I couldn't be bothered to ensure my house is clean enough to trust that a plastic teat would be sterile.
  • I breastfeed because I like having a way to keep my toddler quiet when I need to make a phonecall.
  • I breastfeed because it is the easiest way to deal with a toddler meltdown.
  • I breastfeed because I like feeling that I can comfort and heal my children when they get the odd tummy bug.
  • I breastfeed because I want my children to be as clever as they could possibly be.
  • I breastfeed because I want my pre pregnancy shape back in the laziest way possible.
  • I breastfeed because I don't want my children to be at risk of obesity, diabetes or a host of other illnesses.
  • I breastfeed because I want to travel with my baby without worrying about how many feeds to pack, or where will I get clean water.
  • I breastfeed because I don't want to worry about what nutritional value the solid food my toddler eats in a day has.
  • I breastfeed because it is what my breasts are for.
What sacrifice?

3 comments:

  1. You've antibiotics for the inevitable eye infections on tap too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I read this in the LLL magazine and loved it! I was wondering if you would mind if I linked it to my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all Jenn, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete