Thursday, June 2, 2011

Jack & Jill

So I'm doing the Flora mini-marathon. For those who know me this will probably be a surprise. I am not a sporty person. I've been training for a few weeks though and reckon I'll be able to manage it. I chose to do it for Jack & Jill Children's Foundation.

You've probably all seen the mobile phone envelopes but few know what services they provide. I met a nurse who works for this charity at a coffee morning fundraiser last year. She told me of some of her cases. A 2 year old boy who sufferred brain damage in surgery soon after birth. This child needs to be held close 24/7 or he gets very distressed. Jack and Jill provide a nurse to assist with this care so that his parents can spend some time with their two other children or simply take a break. She also told me of families who have been forced to leave work to care for their children full time. Here they provide financial or practical assistance such as children's books and toys. Another vitally important service they offer is advice on how best to care for a seriously ill child at home and how to access services. It's scary enough being home with your first child but imagine that child was seriously ill. Where would you turn? Jack and Jill provide home visits and offer advice and practical help. They are always mindful of the loneliness and isolation that affected families experience and provide support to help these families cope and to promote the best quality of life for all concerned. The charity also puts much effort into campaigning and lobbying government to improve services to these children who come from all backgrounds.

I would be very grateful to anyone who sponsors me to walk the 10k for this very deserving charity. If you would like to, you can here: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/jennyminimarathon/.

Jack and Jill also recycle mobile phones and printer ink cartridges to raise funds - or you can Text PINT to 57034 (Ireland only) to donate the price of a pint.

Thanks so much for your support.
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment