Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Temptress

This turned up in an old box of papers. It has no date on it but I remember where I lived when I wrote it which dates it about 1998. I was playing with the more technical aspects of poetry at the time. I guess this was my attempt at a ballad.

The Temptress 
 
His senses awakened as she sat down,
The light entangled in her golden crown,
In her sparkling sapphires, he let himself drown
When she smiled, when she was near.

Lost for words with a world to say,
He felt all other thoughts slip away,
Only one filled his mind that glorious day,
The day that she was here.

His fingers twitched to touch the face
Of the vision beside him shrouded in lace;
And how his heart began to race
When she whispered in his ear.

What she said we will never know
But to his cheeks it brought a rosy glow.
She swung her leg to and fro
As he finished off his beer.

Hand in hand they walked out the door.
I was left staring at the floor
I knew in my heart I'd see him no more
I knew there was something queer.

I've seen her around once or twice.
How can something so evil look so nice?
And for my friend who paid the price
I shed a gentle tear.




1 comment:

  1. Wow!A mountaineering breastfeeding counselling poet-i didn't know it!!

    ReplyDelete