Tuesday, April 7, 2009

When your body says, 'Stop!'

Ironically, when my last post was about breastfeeding and how it benefits my family, I experienced a severe downside later on that evening. My symptoms went from being a slightly tender right breast to a very sore, hard and hot breast along with fever, shivering and downright feeling awful in about twenty minutes. My careplan for mastitis: Rest, apply heat and nurse on affected breast. See: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/mastitis.htm

I went to bed at 8pm with a microwaveable teddy bear. My husband brought baby to me when he woke and I nursed him as usual. The next morning with all flu like symptoms gone, I concentrated on feeding him on tender side and gently massaging the lump while he fed. Miraculously, less than 24 hours after initial symptoms I was completely cured with absolutely no medication.

It is truly amazing how the human body can tell you when it has had enough and needs to rest. Its fabulous how pretty much sleep is all it needs to cure it. With two small kids I rarely get more than 5 or 6 hours sleep a night and that is usually broken. I tend to try and do all the things I can't do while they are awake after they go to bed as well as watch t.v. and chill out and talk to my husband. In short I don't go to bed early enough. After a few months of this no wonder my body will shut down and make me sleep. I felt unbelievably refreshed after an almost straight 10 hours sleep. I woke up good humoured. I looked after, and was patient with, four kids aged 4 and underf or most of the day. I even got a little housework done as well as preparing a decent meal. In fact I feel like I don't need to sleep like that again for the next six months. So, I have another 500 things I need to do today - better make a start so I can get to bed by midnight - ish. Old habits die hard.

1 comment: